Simplify Your Summer Cookout
Jun 06, 2016 01:33AM
● By Family Features
Summer is the right time to enjoy easy conversation and flavorful meals al fresco without slaving over a hot grill while everyone else has a good time.
With the right summer recipes and quality equipment, such as premium cast iron cookware from Princess House, you can serve awe-inspiring food and have plenty of time to enjoy it.
Turn your summer cookouts from a hassle to a breeze with easy-to-prepare grilling recipes from Carlos Rodriguez, executive chef at Orinoco restaurant in Boston. Mi Cocina cast iron cookware by Princess House is his go-to choice for summer cooking because it can be used stovetop, in the oven and on the grill.
To grill up a surefire winner this summer, try Rodriguez’s Tropical Barbecue Sauce for baby back ribs or his Flank Steak Filets with a Coffee Glaze. These simple recipes involve little prep time and will leave your guests’ mouths watering.
For more summer cookware solutions and recipes from Rodriguez, visit princesshouse.com.
Tropical Barbecue Sauce
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 green mangoes, cubed
- 4 cups guava concentrate, or 4 cans juice
- 1 quart original flavor barbecue sauce
- 2 racks pork baby back ribs, prepared
- In Mi Cocina by Princess House 11-inch Cast Iron Skillet over low-medium heat, saute mango in butter until golden, add guava concentrate and simmer to reduce by half.
- Cool then blend.
- Return fruit mixture to Skillet, add barbecue sauce and simmer on low-medium heat until sauce has thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Baste prepared ribs with warm sauce and grill on medium-low heat another 10 minutes.
Flank Steak Filets with Coffee Glaze
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup juniper berries
- 4 pieces star anise
- 3 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 3 tablespoons spiced oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Cuban chiles, diced
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup dark aged rum
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 8 cups brewed coffee, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- salt, to taste
- 2 pounds flank steak
- Place all spiced oil ingredients in Princess House Culinario Series Healthy 3-Quart Straining Saucepan and cook on medium heat 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Transfer to Fantasia Seal-Tight 4-Cup Storage Bowl and store in cool, dry location until ready to use. Note: oil should be used within 1 week.
- Heat Saucepan on medium-high heat. Add spiced oil and onion, and saute until cooked.
- Add ginger, chiles and garlic; saute additional 2 minutes.
- Add molasses, rum, instant coffee, cocoa powder and 1 cup brewed coffee; simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add remaining brewed coffee and cook until reduced to about 3 cups, remove from heat and let cool. Add butter and adjust seasoning with salt.
- Cut steak against grain of filets. Heat Mi Cocina by Princess House 13-inch Comal to medium heat. Brush steak with glaze. Place on heated Comal and cook, basting and turning occasionally until cooked.