Smart Breakfast Tips to Kick-Start Your New Year
Dec 29, 2015 01:02AM ● Published by Family Features
(Family Features) As you look to the new year with plans for healthier habits, there’s no better place to start than the beginning – the beginning of each day, that is. Countless studies have shown the benefits of a nutritious breakfast as part of a healthy eating plan, and there are plenty of options to make a good-for-you breakfast that tastes great, too.
Experts agree that there are numerous health benefits to breakfast. For example, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics credits breakfast with helping brain function and memory as well as preventing tiredness and overeating as the day wears on. Mayo Clinic staff adds that adults who eat breakfast are likely to consume more vitamins and minerals, and less fats and cholesterol.
Wake up your morning routine with these tips for a healthier start to each day:
Plan a well-rounded meal. Incorporate whole grains, like sorghum, lean protein, low-fat dairy and fruits and vegetables, for a nutrient-rich meal that will keep you fueled and feeling full until lunch time.
Experiment with new flavors. Avoid burnout and boredom by trying new foods. For example, substitute your typical grain with sorghum, an American-grown cereal grain. In addition to its delicious flavor, sorghum is a highly versatile ingredient that is naturally high in fiber, iron and protein and can be used in a wide range of preparations.
Eliminate obstacles. If hectic mornings are preventing you from getting a healthy breakfast, find solutions that work for you and your family. Prepare make-ahead foods that you can heat in minutes or look for options that are easy to eat on the go, such as this Triple Sorghum Granola, which can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container to maintain its crunchy texture.
Find more ideas for incorporating sorghum into your healthy new year at Facebook.com/TasteSorghum. To find whole grain sorghum for this recipe and other great tasting sorghum products, visit Nu Life Market or Wonder Grain.
Triple Sorghum Granola
- 1 cup cooked sorghum (cooked according to package directions)
- 1/2 cup dry whole oats
- 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons sorghum syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- 1/2 cup popped sorghum (popped according to package directions)
- Heat oven to 200°F. Spread sorghum on jelly roll pan. Place in oven 1 hour, turning every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to large mixing bowl. Stir in oats, pepitas and almonds.
- Raise oven temperature to 300 F.
- In 1-quart sauce pan, heat sorghum syrup and coconut oil until oil melts. Blend well. Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients; stir to blend well. Spread evenly on jelly roll pan. Bake 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in cranberries, coconut chips and popped sorghum. Allow to cool. Break apart. Store in airtight container.