7 Reasons to Drive to Your Holiday Destination
Nov 03, 2015 02:15AM
● By Family Features
If the approaching holidays have you seeing dollar signs and cringing to avoid the stress the season brings, you may be relieved to know there is one simple step to help bypass many of the common holiday headaches. Traveling by vehicle costs less, is more convenient and is not as stressful as flying, according to the Car Care Council.
“With gas prices below $3 per gallon in many parts of the country, more and more travelers are realizing the economic and hassle-free benefits of driving to their holiday destination,” said Rich White, executive director, Car Care Council. “A family of four can travel 1,000 miles round-trip by car for about the cost of a single airline ticket, so driving is the sensible option.”
In addition to direct cost savings, travel by car offers a number of practical advantages over flying including:
- Flexible agenda. Without the demands of a flight schedule dictating your timeline, you have the ability to leave when you want. And on the open road, there is no captain asking you to remain seated, so when the need arises, you can simply stop and stretch without worry. Calling your own shots by car, you also won’t risk being hampered by airline weather delays.
- Skip the wait. Choose to travel by car and you can forget about waiting in long ticket counter and security lines. An added bonus, you’ll avoid driving in circles looking for an open parking space in the overflow lot miles from your terminal.
- No luggage fees. Dodge those hefty charges and load your car up with as much luggage as you want – including wrapped gifts that don’t always make it through security intact.
- Ride in comfort. While air travel may be expedient, it often comes at the cost of legroom and overall comfort. Traveling by car also lets you forgo the company of strangers.
- Familiar wheels. If deplaning and collecting your baggage isn’t enough, getting behind the wheel of an unfamiliar rental car or cramming your belongings into an overpriced taxi may be the final straw for your sanity. Traveling in your own car ensures you know how to operate all the features for a safe and comfortable ride.
- Pet-friendly perks. Although some airlines allow pets to fly, the cost and logistics can be burdensome. Simply loading up your pet and their supplies in your vehicle is more convenient for you, and less likely to stress your four-legged friend.
- An expanded menu. Your hunger is in your own hands when you travel by car. Whether you’re grabbing a quick re-fueling snack on the go or sampling the local fare, traveling by car gives you more and better meal options.
Before you set out, be sure your car is in tip-top shape for a safe holiday travel. Request a free copy of the Car Care Council’s Car Care Guide at www.carcare.org for tips on regular vehicle care, maintenance and repair.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images