Freshen Up Your Summer Party
Jun 22, 2015 01:37AM
By Family Features
(Family Features) Picnics and parties, good friends and good food – these are the things that make summertime special. Whether you’re hosting the soiree or participating via potluck, taking a unique approach to your go-to entertaining dishes is a simple way to freshen up the spread.
Garden salad: A basic tossed green salad provides nearly endless options for variations, and borrowing ethnic flavors for inspiration is a great approach. Add Kalamata olives, feta cheese and red onions for a Greek-inspired side. Incorporate some Tex-Mex flair with roasted corn, black beans, chopped scallions and cheddar cheese. Enjoy an Asian adaptation with crispy wonton strips, cabbage, carrots, green onion and chopped nuts, such as peanuts or cashews.
Deviled eggs: A staple at many social gatherings, deviled eggs are an easy way to experiment with new flavors. Simple additions to the creamy yolk filling can completely transform the taste. One unexpectedly delicious twist is the addition of a quality hummus, such as Sabra’s Lemon Twist Hummus, which combines the tanginess of juicy lemon, fresh chickpeas, a touch of garlic and tahini (ground sesame seeds), to create a smooth and creamy spread. Or sample Sabra’s other dozen varieties, which each offer an extra punch of spice or seasoning.
Upside-down cake: Summer is the perfect time to get creative with a basic upside-down cake, whether you make it from scratch or start with a box. A bounty of seasonal fresh fruit lets you explore new flavors for your cake’s topping: plump, juicy berries, plums and peaches are all excellent choices. Mix it up even more by combining some of your favorites, such as strawberries and blueberries, or switching out the traditional white base for a fruit-laden chocolatey delight.
For more summer entertaining recipes, visit www.sabra.com/recipes.
Hummus Deviled Eggs
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon Sabra hummus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons relish
- Paprika for garnish
- Place eggs in pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn off heat and let sit for 14 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and run cold water over eggs. Cool eggs 10 minutes.
- Remove shells when cool. Cut in half and scoop out yolk and reserve in bowl of food processor. Repeat with remaining 5 eggs.
- Add hummus, olive oil, pepper, and salt to yolks; puree in food processor. Add relish and pulse 3 to 5 times to incorporate.
- Put yolk mixture in piping bag. (Use tall glass and fold edges of piping bag over glass to make it easier to transfer mixture.) Pipe about a teaspoon of mixture into each egg white half and sprinkle with paprika.