Chase Away Winter Chills with Meals From Your Pantry
Jan 19, 2015 12:31AM
By Family Features
There's nothing quite like a hearty, homemade meal to help warm up those cold winter nights. And with a well-stocked pantry - or "Cantry" - delicious meals, like Turkey Green Bean Chili and Home-Style Chicken Pot Pie, are just a few cans away.
Because cans lock in foods' freshness and nutrition, stocking up on staples like canned tomatoes, green beans, peas and canned chicken means that you have access to wholesome ingredients all winter long. Plus, the more cans you store in your Cantry, the fewer last minute trips you have to make to the supermarket.
So this season, when you're searching for satisfying, heart-warming meals that you and your family can cozy up to, start by looking in your Cantry.
For more recipe inspiration and to learn how you can get cooking with cans this winter and year round, visit www.Facebook.com/CansGetYouCooking, www.Pinterest.com/CansGetUCooking and www.YouTube.com/CansGetYouCooking.
Home-Style Chicken Pot Pie
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced potato
- 1 (8.5-ounce) can peas and carrots, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10-ounce) can VALLEY FRESH Chunk Chicken, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) box refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion, potato, peas and carrots and celery; sauté 5 minutes.
- In bowl, combine soup, chicken, rosemary, sage and white pepper; stir into vegetables.
- Unfold 1 pie crust; fit into 9-inch pie plate. Fill with chicken mixture; cover with second pie crust. Trim crust if needed; press edge with fork. Brush top crust with egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water) to create glossy crust, if desired.
- Bake pie 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake 25 minutes longer. Cover crust with aluminum foil to prevent browning. Bake 15 minutes more.
Turkey Green Bean Chili with Cheesy Corn Fritters
- 1 pound ground turkey breast*
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 oz. each) cans Del Monte Zesty Chili Style Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Del Monte Cut Green Beans, drained
- 1 (8.5 oz.) package corn muffin mix
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 (8.75 oz.) can Del Monte Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- For Chili, cook turkey, onion, bell pepper and garlic over medium heat in a large pot for 8 to 10 minutes or until meat is brown and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, water and cumin. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in green beans. Serve with Cheesy Corn Fritters.
- For Cheesy Corn Fritters, combine muffin mix, egg, milk, corn and cheese in a large bowl. Heat oil in a very large skillet over medium heat. For each fritter, pour about 3 tablespoons of batter into hot skillet. Cook 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.**